Friday, February 19, 2010

Neil Peart: futurenaut?

You are no doubt familiar with the musical stylings of Rush, the greatest band in the world. Consider though the thoughts of Neil Peart, who in the song "Time Stand Still" apparently has access to a time dilation machine, or perhaps that stopwatch from the Twilight Zone that froze time (I submit to you that freezing time is, in a relativistic sense, time travel).

Anyways, the relevant lyrics:

Time stand still)
I'm not looking back
But I want to look around me now
(Time stand still)
See more of the people and the places that surround me now
Freeze this moment a little bit longer
Make each sensation a little bit stronger
Experience slips away

and later:

I let my past go too fast
No time to pause
If I could slow it all down
Like some captain, whose ship runs aground
I can wait until the tide comes around

Dear reader, the evidence is plain for those with eyes to see: the author of this song clearly is in possession of a device which either slows time, freezes it entirely, or permits travel within the operator's lifetime. In any event, I demand access to this device, or at the very least I demand that Peart travel back in time and undo some of the synth-heavy stuff he put out in the late 80s.

5 comments:

Robert Vollman said...

There was an episode of "The Collector" where a character had a time-stopping device.

The premise of the show is that the main character is someone who collects the souls of those who have made deals with the devil.

This one episode featured a man who traded his soul for a stopwatch that would stop time - but only for him. Time continued to progress around him. So, in essence, he could live centuries by simply pausing his own passage through time.

Would you rather have that device instead?

P.S. "The Collector" is a Canadian show, just like Rush is a Canadian band. Canada's obviously far more advanced in time travel technology.

Matsby said...

I have always loved the idea of stopping time. Maybe even more than traveling about in time. Mostly this is because I am lazy and I would use that power to sleep in and get extra naps and pull people's pants down when they're frozen.

Vollman, can you tell us more about how that worked in that Collector episode? When he froze time what happened to him? Would people see him frozen or would he just cease to exist until he unfroze himself? It's an interesting idea and I'd like to better wrap my head around it.

Rusty! said...

http://www.thinkgeek.com/books/nonfiction/c9c1/?cpg=cj

Have you seen/heard/endorse this book?

Robert Vollman said...

He would disappear when he skipped time.

At the end of every show someone would either go to Hell, or save their soul by making amends.

In this case, "the watchmaker", in order to avoid going to Hell, just skipped to the end of time. So he basically spent eternity in non-existence.

Matsby said...

Rusty - I haven't seen that book before, but it looks great. I think I'll order it. Thanks for the heads-up!